Pages

Friday, March 6, 2009

Using those scraps (and not many words!)

So as I mentioned in that last post, I do have a wee collection of scraps. You just never know when you might need that itty bitty piece of ribbon/paper/card etc! Sometimes I do use them too, and here is an example.
Step One.
Gather together a collection of patterned paper scraps, and a coordinating piece of cardstock to stick them all on to. These ones all happened to be from the same pack of papers (a now retired one - SU's 'enchante' - you can get the same patterns, just different colours, while stocks last - 'le jardin'). Being from the same pack they all coordinated nicely for me - one less thing to think about!

Step Two.
To make them look a little less like a collection of scraps arranged on some card, I sponged the edges of all the paper pieces with perfect plum, or celery ink - depending on the paper, to give them a softer look. This is a really simple but effective technique that can add the finishing touch that is often needed. Just a matter of patting a piece of sponge (I cut mine into 6) onto the inkpad, and then rubbing it across the edge of the paper. Repeat as needed. Done!

Step Three.

Covering up all that work! Well not quite. Now you arrange your photos as desired, leaving space for embellishments and peeks at the patterned paper. This is a great way to scrapbook a lot of photos on one layout. This particular layout - about the friendship my children share (most of the time!) also allowed me to scrapbook seemingly unrelated photos from different days and adventures.

Step Four.
The finishing touches. I just used some stamped flowers that I cut out, small ones in groups of three, and a couple of larger ones, and then a couple of 'wordy stamps' as a focus - one of last years sale-a-bration sets, and the very versatile 'carte postale' set that many of you have. I love it when the sentiment on the stamp sums up what I am thinking. Great for when you don't have the room, or the inclination, to add journaling to your layouts.

journaling done!

No comments:

Post a Comment