Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sweet Baby Boy layout

So I've updated the photo, and here it is. It's a little bit better. My sweet baby boy, in a photo with me - unheard of!

This layout was inspired by an Ali Edwards layout. Although I had to change it quite a bit. I couldn't find my white 12 x 12 card, so went with blue instead, and my chipboard frames were circles and squares instead of hearts (and yes, I probably could have made my own, but when I started this layout I thought it was going to be a quick one - no time for that!) It probably would have helped if I had have had a photo in mind, before I started painting and stamping, but there you go, sometimes you just have to dive on in.

So after the initial diving in, I got a bit stuck - not such a quick project after all! This is also a little removed from my usual straight lines and simple. Not only did I not use a ruler once, I didn't even use my paper trimmer. Find a straight edge if you can!

The initial idea was more of the 'make your own patterned background' theme. This time I started by roughly painting the bashful blue card with acrylic paint (white with a hint of blue), leaving the blue card visable round the edge like a border.

Over the top of this, to add some interest, I used the super handy 'lots of dots' jumbo wheel, from the summer mini catalogue. I am loving this wheel (even though it is probably kind of boring!) and am really disappointed to find out it hasn't returned in the new catalogue. Apologies in advance - you will probably see this one used again in the future - retired resmired I say!

I inked the wheel up using my bashful blue inkpad (and then a little bit of not quite navy, applied to the wheel with a sponge) rather than a cartridge. Once the wheel has been around once the image will start to fade BUT - I knew the middle would be covered over so could work it so that was where the faded bit was. Also, because I was going for a 'quick and easy thrown together' project, I kind of figured it didn't matter if some dots were lighter than others - it just adds to the interest. I went over it a few times anyway - sorry it doesn't show up so well in the layout photo, but you should get the idea from the closeups.

I also painted over the chipboard frame, and then sponged bashful blue, and not quite navy ink around the edges of the chipboard, and roughly over the rest of the frame.

The rest was made up of bits and pieces. Some yummy wide bashful blue stitched grosgrain from the mini, flowers from the pretties, dyed with night of navy ink (see this post to find out how to do this), some hand cut vellum hearts - with piercing round the edges, and some stamped up images from assorted stamp sets - mostly retiring - but not at my house!

I also managed to throw in a petal from the pick a petal set - see it up there? I didn't ink the smile word on the stamp - instead I left a gap and wrote my own word in, then used the inside of the petal to write the date.

I must confess, I am not entirely convinced that this is quite finished. But I guess that is what happens when you try something new. What I did enjoy was all the playing, experimenting, and DIY. And that another empty sleeve in the album is empty no more!!

Ingredients for this one (ones in bold are retiring tomorrow - several are discounted!):

Bashful Blue., whisper white, and night of navy card, vellum
bashful blue and night of navy ink
On Board Ginormous Pieces chipboard frame
flowers from Pretties kit
Bashful Blue double stitched grosgrain ribbon
Lots of Dots jumbo stampin around wheel (and handle)
ABC Alphabet Lower
Stamp of Authenticity
Office Accoutrements
Pick a Petal
Everyday Flexible Phrases
Expressive Flexible Phrases

No comments:

Post a Comment