Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hayden's Ahoy Matey Birthday Card

This set is a favourite of Hayden and Campbell's - both to receive projects, and make their own.
When it came time to make a birthday card for Hayden it was an obvious choice. To make it a little different from previous 'pirate' cards I decided to make it a spinner card (when you move the card from side to side that little pirate bird spins and slides along the 'ahoy matey' track).





And who wouldn't want a pirate chest overflowing with treasure? To make this I stamped with chocolate chip ink on Close to cocoa card. Then I cut the lid off the chest, sponged both pieces with cocoa ink to give them a grubby pirate look, and then attached both pieces to the front of the card, with the lid on an angle to look like it was opening.
For the treasure I used a mixture of silver and rhinestone brads. For added sparkle (you will have to take my word for that as it doesn't show up so well in the photo) I used a two way glue pen to get in between the brads, and then sprinkled on the dazzling diamonds. Might have been easier to put the glitter on before the brads, but it was one of those projects that evolved as it went along - I didn't know I was going to use the glitter until after the brads were on!
And of course for the base of the card, those lovely in colours - soft sky and blue bayou - My favourite colour combination at the moment I think. Stamping with soft sky ink onto the soft sky card (or any other same colour ink/card combo) gives nice subtle interest, without overwhelming the project.
If you want to replicate anything you see here, this is what you will need:
Ahoy Matey Stamp set (retiring this month - get in quick!)
Card: soft sky, blue bayou, whisper white, close to cocoa
Ink: Chocolate chip, soft sky, blue bayou
Stampin' Write Markers: (to colour the bird) bashful blue, barely banana
Punches: word window, 1 1/4 inch circle, 1 3/8 inch circle
'Sparkly Bits': Rhinestone brads (ice), silver brads (vintage), dazzling diamonds glitter
two way glue pen, stampin' dimensionals
And if you would like to know how to make a spinner card, contact me. I am pretty sure I have some instructions all written out already!

No comments:

Post a Comment