Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Carousel Note Birthday Card

Confession time.  I love the 'Carousel Notes' and have used them for a few different projects, such as this cute handbag mini album, but I don't think I have used them to make a card yet.  Not one that I remember anyway!   So I decided it was time for a new challenge to myself, and that was simply to make cards using Carousel Notes. (What's a carousel note?  It's a nice big (approx 15cm across) scalloped circle of card, complete with nice square choc chip envelopes,  just crying out to be loved!)

I'm not sure why I haven't done this earlier, as they are perfect for a card with a difference, without the need for complicated or time consuming fancy folds etc.  For this card I decided to use two of the baja breeze carousel notes, and team it up with a splash of kiwi kiss...  

 I stamped some flowers on a circle of white card using baja blue and kiwi kiss inks, and then added the sentiment in Kiwi Kiss.  The edge of the circle was then sponged with the blue ink, (although this was later hidden!) and I also sponged lightly over the blue flowers.

To help tie in the kiwi kiss inking a little better, I decided to add a circle of kiwi kiss card as a mat.  Now is when I confess, that in my haste to cut that circle the ends of the cut didn't quite meet up.  Normally this probably wouldn't even be noticable, but when you lay it between two other circles it is kind of hard to miss!  Since I didn't have a definite plan of where this card was headed (did you sense that already?) I decided to do a little experimenting before cutting another mat - hoping to hide that slightly imperfect circle shape, and add some textural interest. I wet the edge of the card and then rolled and scrunched, in the same way I had on this layout, and then left it a few minutes to dry.



I am really enjoying the resulting contrast between those elegant flowers and that rough and bumpy border.  A little rhinestone brad was the finishing touch before attaching it all to the carousel note.  I then lightly sponged the edge of the carousel note with some of the kiwi kiss ink to help tie it all together.

I used the round tab punch to make a 'hinge' to attach the two carousel notes, making it into a card, and then added another stamped white circle to the inside to finish it off.




Recipe for this card:
Carousel Notes (1 pack includes 4 each of Kiwi Kiss, Ruby Red and Baja Breeze)

 Kiwi Kiss and Whisper White Card
Kiwi Kiss and Baja Breeze Ink
Fifth Avenue Floral stampset
A Little Birthday Cheer stampset
Rhinestone Brad (circle ice)
Round Tab Punch

No comments:

Post a Comment