Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Inspiration from the SU Idea Book and Catalogue

After a few days holiday, and then a few days catching up (sleep, laundry, emails, more laundry!) it was time for a creativity fix. I made a deal with my kiddos - let Mummy play now, and we can all play together later. They agreed, but since their sense of time and mine are not always in sync, I didn't want to be mucking around too much - time could be short!

Cue the Idea Book and Catalogue...

I think I have already mentioned that 'Fifth Avenue Floral' is one of my favourites, and the samples in the book are one of the reasons. So elegant, and so pretty every time. I had been planning on making a card like this one (on page 82) for a while, and today was the day. Here is my take on it...

It is a little different from the catalogue sample, but not by much. Instead of a circle behind the 'hi' I decided to use the large oval punch. I used the jumbo outline alphabet to stamp the 'hi' on choc chip card, and then carefully cut it out (rather than cover chipboard letters as in the catalogue sample). The ribbon colour is also different - choc chip instead of white (there's a reason it was brought out of retirement by SU!)

One of the reasons I liked going to the Idea Book for inspiration was that the project came together really quickly. The design part was all there for me, ready to copy or tweek as desired.

It is also a really good starting point for other projects. It is so easy to swap out materials to fit what you have in your stash, or change colours or greetings to suit - like in this next card I made.

You can also change the orientation of the card, or play with the positioning of the different elements, like this last sample.

This time I went back to the 'hi', but substituted a punched border for the ribbon of the original. I also added a bit of sponging around the edges of the oval and stamped flower section, just to change the look a little.

And then, just as I was on a roll, my time was up. Darn it! Will have to file those ideas away for next time.

In the past the idea book and catalogue included a list of all the 'ingredients' at the back for each project shown throughout the book. This year they have been left out, but a full list (with photos) is available on the Stampin' Up Website - click here to go straight to it (or use the link on my sidebar). Don't forget too, that even when the catalogues are retired - the ideas book part of it doesn't have to be. Happy creating!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous set of cards. What good kids you have to let you have the time to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go again Tracee making me think I must do that tooo never enough hours in the day I agree with Keryn about them being great cards your kids being sooo good. I cant wait to catch up with the girls and give Pauline that hug

    ReplyDelete