Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spin, Twirl, Dance!

You could say that creativity has been somewhat lacking in our house lately.  We had been expecting to be moving until red tape put a rather abrupt hold on our plans, and the past few months of waiting around have not been especially inspirational! Creativity has not been happening.  

And then we spotted this t shirt in the clearance rack.  

  And I remembered the sewing machine tucked away in storage, that I had bought to help keep myself entertained after we do move.  And I realised that this t shirt very clearly wanted to be made into a dress!  

A quick google search revealed there were lots of instructions online for making t shirt dresses.  I decided to base my one on these instructions by Mormon Mommy Wars.  Nice and straight forward, and quick too.  Of course, me being me, I then proceeded to change every step - shorten the t shirt, make the skirt fuller, add a frill, add some lace....  Needless to say I made one dress in two hours, rather than six in two hours like it said in the instructions!  But the end result was worth it...

a pretty, inexpensive dress (with none of the fuss of having to put in sleeves or finish necklines!) 
and a very happy girl (giving the dress the 'spin twirl dance' test).
Best of all - some creativity at last!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Tracee! You did an awesome job with this - the colours in the skirt match so perfectly, it looks like it was always a dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cute Tracee looks like a winner with your wee girl. Not showing mine I will be making one too!

    ReplyDelete